Thursday 9 January 2020

603 - Studio Brief 2-Stolen museum

I was really excited about this!
The research trip itself was super cool, the warehouse was full of wonderful things. The only thing that caught my full attention, though, was a letter written by a soldier in 1917/18(?). 'Give us this day our daily bread (and please put some butter on! love max)'. I also loved the naff memorial plates and crockery, the ones that celebrate the monarchs' anniversary, or ve day, or something. As a kid, i was always nagging for those special memorial coins that cost way too much, and these plates echoed of my old fascination, like the bric-a-brac aisle of a charity shop. 






For my riso design, i wanted to make a design that had the nostalgic qualities of the crap ceramics and the heartfelt-ness of the letter. I took the writing from the letter, and my favourite bad-drawing off the plates.  my design ended up looking pretty rubbish, i hated it so much that i was too embarrassed to print it out to use in the riso workshop. 





so i last-minute (while in the waiting list for the printer) redesigned the whole thing to be of a carousel id seen instead, which i thought was much nicer to look at, and i didn't hate it (as much). The colours the printer people brought were kinda ugly, so i opted for the not-so-parisian combo of black and blue. Overall, i really regret not finding something i was truly passionate about in that room so i could make a riso of something I was proud of. The workshop itself was a really good insight into how it all works, having never seen or used one before. Now i know how the process works, i think it will be a much more accessible way of producing prints in the future, perhaps even over screenprinting. The process is much the same, and i really love the low-fi-ness and the textures. as i'm not a particularly accomplished screenprinter, i will definitely consider riso in the future when maufacturing a bunch of prints. I will also, spend more time on my design to make it actually nice. 



No comments:

Post a Comment