Thursday 9 January 2020

603 Studio brief 1- 6 Memos

The concept of the five memo's brief was a lovely opportunity to get back in touch with my practice and to play around again, reminiscent of playbook. I don't remember the original task that was set exactly, other than not being allowed to work with tools in our comfort zone. I chose wax pastels, which i have never used, gouache, which I don't generally reach for, and sugar paper, so i could work at a large scale.
The first thing that came to my head was a tiny, tiny ring that i had seen in a wartime-come-taxidermy-come-geology museum in the Scottish highlands. 'Ring Found In Kitchen Garden'. This was fascinating to me, as it definitely had a story, even down to the fact that someone cared enough about it to put in in the museum, yet the story was as lost as the ring had been. Perhaps it told of a member of staff losing it while carrying out their duties. Perhaps it belonged to a lover who was jilted in some way. Perhaps a child stole it from their mother's jewellery box and she spent the rest of her life wondering where it had gotten to. I think the attraction to the stories i sniff out is the allowance of speculation. there's a freedom and un-explored-ness to the stories i choose to tell, and that allows for any outcome, which is freeing.
In terms of having a final set of outcomes, I never really finalised it. I made a set of 6 of the gouache/oil pastel paintings, and did several more sketches in my sketchbook. However, I never got round to developing it into a fully fledged, orderly project. I think the thought i had about exploring the idea of the ring was used up pretty quickly in those paintings, and the fleetingness of my thoughts and the way i documented them kinda sum up my feelings about it all anyway. The throwaway nature of the ring and the quick, speculative drawings are, i feel, an appropriate way to begin and conclude the 6 memo's task. After all, doesnt 'memo' mean note with info, or quick documentation?

(i don't have physical evidence of the larger paintings but here are my sketchbook pages)




No comments:

Post a Comment