Monday 27 January 2020

Studio Brief 4- Project Proposal

Project Proposal 


My Final Major Project is going to be about folklore and superstition surrounding birds. It will encompass studying literature, such as ‘Grief Is The Thing With Feathers’, Ted Hughes’ poetry book, ‘Crow’, among other rhymes, songs, stories and superstitions about birds. I will focus on the imagery created by narrative and words, honing in specifically on the feelings and emotive words to create my body of work from. It has stemmed from my own need to take control of the superstitions I have about birds. I harbour a certain amount of anxiety around the outcomes of seeing Magpies; saluting them and counting them, stemming from the nursery rhyme, ‘One for Sorrow’. This project is about taking back control over these anxieties and superstitions, whilst acknowledging their importance in my life, and researching other superstitions concerning other people’s lives. 

I aim to explore these in ceramic form, by making tiles depicting stories, by making figurines and sculptures. I also aim to use monoprint, linoprint, to incorporate painting and ink work, digital drawing, animation, and screenprint (I’d love to experiment with making banners and tshirts, for commercial sale but also for visual aesthetic) and at least several sets of screenprints. I aim to write my own words- not just narratives, but rhymes and poetry too. 
I will bear in mind that the drop in sessions and facilities i plan to use often need prior booking or arrangement, and definitely require me to be organised and plan well in advance. I will not restrain myself to working in one particular way- if i am to fully see this project through, whether my concept develops far from this starting point or not, I need to keep my interest and intent clear and consistent. 
I was initially influenced by the book, ‘Grief Is The Thing With Feathers’, which is an incredibly raw and thought provoking novel that embodies symbolism, personification, emotiveness and honesty. I hope to create the same feelings this book gave me in my own work, for other people. I am also currently fascinated by the phenomenon of the sense of a fake or artificial nostalgia. I aim to explore this more in the upcoming weeks, to truly understand how to create it and its purpose. I seek to educate and to engage my audience, and through this, develop more of an understanding of where my work sits in the industry. 
My speculative outcomes are (but are nowhere near limited to): fabric hanging banners for decorative purposes, a body of ceramic work, including pottery, sculpture and tile making, sets of prints in mono, lino, and screenprints, perhaps a published zine or small book that contains my own writing and imagery, and a couple of short animations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment