Monday 16 March 2020

the firebird motif

The firebird motif acted as a transitional stage between being in uni and being in quarantine. It also represented the transition between the darker mood of my work, as it initially began inspired by 'grief is the thing with feathers', heavily focused on negative imagery, gradually transitioning into a sunnier frame of mind (reflected in my work) which, despite the lock down and the world going to pot, has improved since the winter.
I learned the story as a child via my favorite illustrator Jane Ray in a book of Berlie Doherty fairy tales i got for my second birthday. In my version of the fire-bird, there is a raven which can find the water of life and death, and give life to someone murdered. it is a story of trickery, deceit, and honesty and love. I love the idea of a bird that harnesses the whole element of fire, which stars are made of. Breaking gout of my corvid-depression was so useful, as i felt like i had started fresh when incorporating new birds into my work. it was definitely a good transitional stage. like the phoenix...? rising from the ashes. cliche.

No comments:

Post a Comment