Tuesday 19 May 2020

3D work, development



My initial plans to make a fabric screenprint couldn't go forwards, however i adapted my situation and remembered i have a background in textiles. I put out a call in my village for scraps of material, as i didn't have any of my own. The kindness and support of my local community was really heartwarming and took me by surprise a little- everyone who donated fabrics to me has taken a real interest in my work, which is lovely. Although i didnt get a choice in materials and colours that i had to work with, i set aside a colour pallette of the fabrics i had the most of and made a handful of motifs which i had been workingon- the eyes, the flower, the birds and the stars. The hardest bit was arranging the motifs into the best composition, and it took me making another flower and eye before i felt it was actually coming together. The flower and eye motif came about by rearranging and playing about with the wall hanging composition- before doing this i'd never considered combining the two. I came to really enjoy the eerieness of it, i think both elements tell a better story together and are stronger together than apart. This change became consistent  and central to my work from here right though to the final screenprint designs.

I used up all my air dry clay on the vessels/vases, before i realised that i wanted to make charms. I ended up using slat dough, which i'd never used (since i was about 4 making christmas tree decorations anyway) and took up a lot of flour during the flour shortage. The dough itself was messy to play with, and it warped and bubbled a bit in the oven. However, i was expecting something like this to happen, and it added textures and new challenges when it came to decorating. Again, i narrowed down the pieces to represent icons as a collection that could be rearranged, kind of like a lucky/unlucky charm/dreamcatcher/warding off evil spirits or inviting them in sort of thing. I'm happy with the result, however i will use more substantial and malleable materials when making this sort of thing in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment